Lake Erie Beach

Lake Erie Beach

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

~Confession #1~

I have always been very good at mimicking anything that I see, be it technical, mathematical, language, or even writing style and technique. Someone once said in a conference that I went to, "garbage in, garbage out", and I completely understood it in the context that it was being used in at that time...friendships and the people you associate yourself with. That same philosophy does apply in many other areas of life though, and it comes to me often. If I spend too much time playing with other styles, I lose a sense of my own, and in doing this, I lose touch with a part of what makes my own writing uniquely me. It doesn't mean that I can't learn other styles, quite the contrary, they take hold a little too well...it just means that in order for me to write something that comes from my heart, it has to be on my terms and in my own style. I don’t know if I’ll ever be good at writing on demand or from the heart in other styles, but I can write from my heart when I allow myself to write freely.

Copyright © September 14th, 2011 C. S. Walls

No comments:

Post a Comment